Here at Strong for Honda it is not uncommon for us to find vehicle parts that we have sold years before turning up on vehicles that we have purchased for dismantling. We can tell this as we can see our security code marked on the part.
We had one case just the other day where a starter motor had come back to us on three different Honda Civic vehicles over some time, only to see the starter motor again checked by us and off to do a round in yet another Honda Civic.
We think this is the ultimate in recycling and this example is not uncommon. These parts can then be resold, rebuilt or even if their life is over, scraped and the metals reformed into other useful products. World wide, about 75% of dismantled vehicles, once all useable parts are removed, are shredded to recover the iron and steel content. The ferrous metal is magnetically split; the remaining 25% is comprised of other non-ferrous metals like copper, aluminium, rubber and a mixture of plastics.
Below are some of the benefits of recycling the not-so-obvious, miscellaneous vehicle parts.
Recycling vehicles and their parts saves an estimated 85 million barrels of oil a year world wide.
1. Brake Pads
3. Vehicle Accessories
4. Environmental Benefits of Recycling Accessories
Automobiles are currently one of the most recycled commodities. The average vehicle is made up of about 65% steel. In America alone the steel industry recycles more than 14 million tons of steel from end-of-life vehicles annually.
Even fluids such as oils or greases, and coolants and refrigerants from the air-conditioning units may be re-used by the recyclers or sold to a licensed facility for re-use.
Tyres can be re-sold; some are removed to stockpiles for later recycling. Recycled tyre rubber is part of many end products that contain rubber components.
Drainage and Removal of Fluids
Parts Removal for Re-Use
Materials Recovery/ Recycling of Materials
The very act of recycling automotive parts from wrecked or dismantled vehicles is a great step in limiting the continual use of resources and energy in the manufacturing of new vehicle parts from the worlds limited raw materials. This also eliminates the need to ship new parts across the oceans to New Zealand wasting fuel and energy.
Besides that, most used vehicle parts will cost you less than new parts and perform the same function, after all your car is a used car already so why not fit comparable parts?
It is truly amazing just how much of the vehicle can be recycled, nearly everything can be re-used.
In our operation here at Strong for Honda, oils and other fluids are drained and sent to the appropriate recycling or refining company, tyres can be sold, engines, transmissions, electrical parts, panels and all good parts can be tested, cleaned and re-sold in New Zealand or even exported to other countries.
Once all usable parts are removed car bodies are crushed and sent to the steel mill where they are melted down and recycled into other usable products.
As a Strong Group member we are very aware of our responsibility to protect our precious environment and each member is keen to work hard to the Strong Group code of conduct. This among other things is there to create a safe environmentally friendly vehicle dismantling practice.